What type of agreement can you have with the estate agent

If you use one estate agent to handle the sale this could be on the basis of a ‘sole agency’ agreement, or the agent may have ‘sole selling rights’, depending on the contract that you have signed. Both of these terms must be explained in writing if they are used in a contract.

Sole selling rights means that the estate agent will have the exclusive right to sell your home and you will still have to pay the estate agent even if you find a buyer yourself.

A sole agency is still only using one agent, but if you find a buyer yourself you don’t have to pay commission to the estate agent. A sole agency agreement should be agreed for a specific period of time.

If you appoint two estate agents to act together for you in selling the property, this is known as ‘joint agency’ or ‘joint sole agency’. A joint sole agency contract is where the estate agents involved share the commission when the property is sold regardless of which estate agent actually finds the buyer.

If you appoint more than two estate agents on a ‘multiple agency’ basis, only the estate agent who sells the property will be entitled to the commission.

Of course, the estate agent contacts are in contrast to Estate Agents Suck.com as we do not have a contract for you to sign, it’s a free service. We ask you to agree to our Terms & Conditions when you sign up but this is standard stuff about you not abusing the website or using abusive language.

Share This